This morning, we got a chance to sleep in and enjoy the morning! We left around 12:30 for McGaffey. We drove there and began to hike Strawberry Canyon. Not really sure why it's called that. Professor S said that maybe it was because they grew strawberry's somewhere. Satisfactory answer for now :) It was an easy hike though...we got to a lookout tower where we could take breathtaking views. This was the highest we've ever hiked--I believe it was 8,400'. Uh...The car did most of the hiking although we did hike some!
THEN we went by an Elk FARM. It was the greatest thing ever. The elk were huge--There had to be two fences because apparently the elk can jump over the one, but don't have enough room to jump over two. Simply amazing. On our way there, we saw plenty of cows outside the fences--just randomly in the road or whatever. Rather funny :) As we continued looking at the elk farm, we passed a TEXAS LONGHORN and of course had to stop and take pictures! It was hysterical, actually.
After these adventures, we went back to Rehoboth and were at a Chili "cook-off" at Rehoboth church. This was the first time they did this, but they had a great turn out. So many people brought chili. I'm usually not a fan of chili, but this was GOOD stuff. They also had enough cornbread to feed most of Michigan, let alone Rehoboth :) I met some people who had endless connections to Calvin. It was great to touch base with some of these people.
After this, Andrea and I decided to watch the sun set...but we needed to climb a mountain. So we did. And tried our hardest to get home before dark ;) But that's a story for another time. BUT there are some great pictures! Sorry this post was SO long, but we did a lot in these past two days! School starts for us tomorrow night...Aiding won't start until next week I think, but our classes begin tomorrow. Exciting :)
Here are some pictures of everything! [lots of pictures]
EL MORO:




I can't believe this one above--it looks like it's going to fall off!!!!

This was the view looking across the "U" shape--the green canyon below. :)
STRAWBERRY CANYON
This was the look-out tower at the top.
The trail back down!
WILDLIFE
HAHA IT'S A LONGHORN!!
SUNSETS. BEAUTIFUL.
These are the always present beetles. This is rather small compared to some. SICK.
So how many of you want to move here yet? :) Goodnight all!

5 comments:
That looks beautiful, I am absolutely jealous. Don't get eaten by the beatles, and keep the pictures and posts coming!
Haha this was the longest post ever :-D glad you enjoyed it!
Okay, I had several thoughts as I read the post... and viewed the pictures, but for some reason I can't remember any of them. :D But hey, it looks sooooooooo gorgeous there and I'm so glad you're there. They dont' have that kinda stuff here in Michiganland. The beetle made me have chills, not even kidding. And I'm so glad to see you have Dad's flashlight, I hope he notices ;) And you're cute. And we're related. :)
Wow, I'm so glad you're getting such a good look at what NM is all about! I can't wait to be back there in a couple weeks. Then, balloon fiesta wooooooo!
We get those beetles all the time up where I live, they're called 'pinacate beetles' or just black beetles. Careful, if you get too close they will go tail-up and stink you (I've never had that happen, but I imagine it's not fun).
Hi Jennie!
Is that Hogsback mountain in one of those pictures? I've been there and climbed it too! Are you working at the Christian school there in Rehoboth? I went there with group from my church for a couple of weeks last summerand worked with the Goudzwaards... have you me them? Hope you are having a great time in NM!!
Julia (And Uncle Andy, Aunt Gayle, and Jen)
Post a Comment