Monday, September 15, 2008

What a weekend!

Hey everyone!

So this weekend was unbelievable. The pictures will tell the story, so here I go!

We began our trip on Friday afternoon. We drove to Durango, CO which is about three and a half hours north east of Gallup. Here is a picture of a BEAUTIFUL scene always present outside our car windows...


We ate at a nice restaurant and then stayed in a hotel in Durango. Then we went to Hot Springs! This was so touristy..it was nuts. It was basically three outdoor pools: a pool, then a warmer pool, then a super hot pool. The hotter pools were naturally heated pools with no chlorine or anything. It was very sulfury but very beautiful and warm. In the morning, we went to Mesa Verde. For those of you who aren't familiar, Mesa Verde translates to "Green Table." This park is special because ancient Pueblo people built their homes and villages in the side of cliffs! These were lived in during the 1200s. The whole thing is very interesting as the rain would seep through the rocks. The rocks would act as a filter and give the people in the cliffs clean water. I put my finger in some remaining water --it was very clean and very cold! Here are some pictures!


me, just before the mesa verde


These were some stairs we had to quick climb to get to where the pueblo people lived...except they didn't have a ladder. They used dents in the rocks to climb up there. Unbelievable!


I think you can see the trees in the background--this is due to a fire in 2000 and 2002. I thought they were beautiful. Reminded me of poetry...(yes, I am an English Education major).





These were the amazing cliff dwellings. Many people would live in this small space. We couldn't walk through all of it, but even walking by was great.


A definite highlight of the trip!!! :-D Ranger Scott. He was a brand new ranger at this park, and although he had a lot of learning to do, he was a joy to watch ;)

Some more scenery!




Yes, it was a dangerous trip :)

We then drove from Mesa Verde back to Durango, where we ate and walked around. Here's one for you, ma.


Then on Sunday morning, we got up early and took the train from Durango to Silverton. The train was amazing. Here's me looking out the window :)




Andrea and I on the train..

One of the conductors! Wayne :)

Ben being goofy :)

I have no shame. Of course I'll stick my head out the window!

Purdy.

Another highlight: Brakemaster Pete! Not quite a conductor. He was well on his way. :)

The 2 hour train ride gave beautiful views.



These people were amazing. Our assigned seats were in a closed car, but we went to another car and met these beautiful people. the three on the left were all from England and had amazing accents. If you want to hear more about them, ask. Like I said...really great people. Amazing where you can find fellow Christians!

A good shot of the train, if I do say so myself.


The girls enjoying the train!

We just really liked taking pictures with random people, I guess.



Such a tourist trap, but I loved it.

I loved this man. His name was Dale. See following picture for more information. What a STUD.



This is where Dale worked, and where we had lunch. GRUMPY'S SALOON! :-D It was so great.




This is Shiprock on the way home. We couldn't get much closer, because it's so sacred. However, Ben needed to make sure to be in this photo despite my best efforts. So...ya.

It was a 4 hour ride home from Silverton...such a long ride. BUT we made it back...and had three classes today. Tomorrow we begin student aiding again!

Hope you enjoyed the crazy pictures! Have a great week!

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Okay, so many comments....

The scenery is continuing to amaze me. It's gorgeous there!! I can't get over it. Mesa Verde is so cool.... I can't believe people lived in the rocks. Ranger Scott?! Oh my word, where's Carla?! haahaha No, this is great, your face is awesome in that pict :D I'm jealous of the train trip. The pictures of the little town... Durango? Silverton? What a great little town.... definitely my kind of place! And the mountain views.... so gorgeous, it's almost scary!! I think I love Dale... can I take him home for $15? :D

Thanks for posting the pictures... I'm actually very jealous and want to go every place you went.

Jennie said...

lol i wanted to take dale home. i gave him a donation next to his piano :-D then after shopping and stuff we went to get ice cream and THERE WAS DALE. it was adorable. he told us we made his heart flatter or something. LOL

Ruth said...

haha that's great!! hope aiding has been going well!!

Derek S said...

That lake looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL